A Steak Hoagie Recipe is made of thinly sliced beefsteak and melted cheese in a long hoagie roll. It is also referred to as a Philadelphia cheesesteak, Philly cheesesteak, cheesesteak sandwich, cheese steak, or steak and cheese. Its origins can be found in the American city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and is a very popular regional fast food.
History of Steak Hoagie Recipe
According to a 1987 exhibition catalogue issued by the Library Company of Philadelphia and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, the cheese steak was invented in the early twentieth century “by combining frizzled beef, onions, and cheese in a small loaf of bread.”
The sandwich was allegedly created by Philadelphians Pat and Harry Olivieri in the early 1930s by placing chopped steak on an Italian bun. Its origins are unclear, but according to some sources, Pat and Harry Olivieri, who previously had a hot dog stand, once decided to come up with a new sandwich using chopped beef and grilled onions. A cab driver came by and was intrigued by the sandwich Pat was eating, so he ordered one for himself. The cab driver urged after he finished it that Olivieri stop manufacturing hot dogs and concentrate on the new sandwich. They started offering this variant of steak sandwiches in their hot dog stand close to the Italian Market in South Philadelphia.
Pat’s King of Steaks grew so famous that he created his own restaurant, which is still in business today. The sandwich was made without cheese at first, according to Olivieri, but provolone cheese was eventually added by Joe “Cocky Joe” Lorenza, a manager at the Ridge Avenue restaurant.
Cheesesteaks have grown widespread at restaurants and food carts across the city, with many of the establishments being privately owned and operated by families. Several fast food restaurants now offer cheesesteak variations. High-end restaurants also serve versions of the sandwich. The sandwich is commonly referred to as a “Philly cheesesteak” outside of Philadelphia.
- 1 ½ pounds sirloin steak thinly sliced
- 1 small onion sweet and thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green bell thinly sliced
- 4 Hoagie rolls soft
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 1 pinch Salt
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and pepper slices after seasoning with a little salt and pepper. Cook onions and peppers for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring periodically, until tender but not entirely caramelized.
- Remove the onions and peppers from the skillet and add another tablespoon of butter, followed by all of the sliced steak in a single layer. Allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season the steak well with salt and pepper. The steak should have a little crust on it, but it's fine if it doesn't. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes, or until the meat is mostly cooked through. Take the steak out of the skillet.
- Wipe out the skillet. Half a hoagie bun and butter or oil it lightly. Place the cut side down on the skillet. On the opposite half of the griddle, shape a hoagie with a large amount of steak, peppers, and onions. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook the bun till it’s toasted. If using cheese, add it once the meat and peppers are steaming.
- Take out the bun from skillet and cover with a lid to completely melt the cheese. Spread the steak and peppers on to the hoagie bun and the Steak Hoagie is ready to serve.
What is a steak hoagie?
The iconic sandwich known as a steak hoagie, commonly referred to as a Philly cheesesteak, was created in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. On a lengthy, crusty bun, it is often served with thinly sliced beefsteak, sautéed onions, and melted cheese. It is known by different names such as cheesesteak, Philadelphia cheesesteak, Philly cheesesteak e.t.c
What is a hoagie made of?
Hoagie is made of thinly sliced beefsteak, sautéed onions, and melted cheese, all served on a long, crusty roll.
What is the difference between a cheesesteak and a hoagie?
A cheesesteak is a thinly sliced beefsteak with melted cheese in a hoagie roll whereas a hoagie is a sandwich served on a long split roll with a choice of fillings. Thus hoagie can have a variety of flavors where as a cheesesteak is almost the same always.
What is a regular hoagie?
A hoagie is a sandwich that is normally at least six inches long and is packed high with deli meats, cheese, toppings, and dressing.
What makes a good hoagie?
A roll that isn’t overly soft is required. Add a large amount of meat, veggies, cheese and other toppings. In the same vein, it must be large enough to hold everything. Some people want a crustier roll outside, whereas others prefer something chewier.
What is a steak hoagie made of?
It is made of thinly sliced beefsteak and melted cheese with sauted onions and bell pepper
Why is it called hoagie?
The hoagie, according to the Encyclopedia Britannica, was first created in the Hog Island shipyard by the Italian immigrants during World War I and thus these sandwiches got the name Hoagie.